Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ask and Ye Shall Receive.. . .

D&C 66:9 - "Lay your hands upon the sick, and they shall recover. Return not till I, the Lord, shall send you. Be patient in affliction. Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

I can honestly say that this last year was the hardest in my 32 years of existence.  Losing a loved one affects everyone so differently.  Enduring the loss of my dad, shook me to the very core.  I questioned everything that I hold dear to me:  my faith in God, my testimony of my religion, my marriage and my life as a whole!  It was some pretty rough and dark times for this little girl!  As the year has progressed, I knew that something had to change in my life. . . didn't know what it was yet, but I just knew I wasn't doing well in my healing.  As most of you know, I've worked at East High School for 6 years.  I've been the Principal's Secretary for 3 of those 6 years and I've loved it!  I've grown to adore and love so many of my coworkers there and built friendships that will last a lifetime!  July brought the change that I spoke of. . . not exactly planned change, but does the Lord ever really forwarn us?  He prepares us for it, but we don't always know what the "IT" is going to be :). 
I saw a job posting for a Career Center Secretary job at Hunter High School (my high school rival growing up. . .G-High Lancer forever!).  I put in my application for it, not thinking that there'd be any chance I'd get an interview.  But, Hunter is so close to my house and I thought the job just might be the change I was looking for.  We were getting ready to head out on a week long vacation around the middle of July, when I got a phone call to go and interview for the job.  I was shocked of course and also very nervous because I was afraid of how this would affect my current job.  The night before my big interview (and 2 nights before we were leaving for vacation!) my Bishop called me to see if D and I could meet with him.  D and I have been serving in the Nursery.  LOVE it in there!  The kids are so funny and cute, we get to eat a snack and we get to play with toys!  What's not to love about that gig?!  But we've been in there for a while and I had mentioned that I missed the "big kids" class.  So I knew that change was coming. . . . .(this is where I open mouth and insert foot!) My Bishop told us that we were being released, but that it had to do with a change and the change involved ME!  Picture me, sitting in between Miss Pretty and D, smiling and nodding when he says "We'd like to call you to be the Relief Society President."  Now imagine my jaw hitting the ground, my eyes filling up with tears and the ugly cry in full affect!  That's right my peeps. . . .Relief Society President!  I thought for sure that Ashton Kutcher was waiting to jump out and say "You've been PUNKED!"  Nope.  Didn't happen.  Ashton was nowhere in sight.  The first thing I thought and said was "I'm just not ready!"  I really felt like I was just gathering up all the pieces of my broken and stomped on heart.  Just starting to really trust that the Lord knew the plan and that I could trust Him, but then he goes and does something like this! By the end of the meeting, I had said "Yes", I was a hot and snotty mess and I had been given an amazing blessing by my husband.  I told my Bishop that I had this job interview the next day and now I was thrown off my game with this shocking new detail!  He told me that "Life is like a snowglobe, it wouldn't be as beautiful if it weren't all shook up!"  Ain't that the truth! 
Along came my job interview. . . it went well, but I learned that they were interviewing 26 people!! YIKES!  I just felt very blessed to have the opportunity to at least interview. 
So I left on vacation the next day (Saturday). . . with a new bombshell of a calling and perhaps, a very small, but very real chance of a new job!  Talk about a double whammy eh? 
Vacation was a blast!  I tried to play and keep my mind off all of the "change", but when I hadn't heard from Hunter by Tuesday, I thought for sure it was a no-go.  That night I was bummed and I prayed that I would be able to do my job at East, which is at times very stressfull and heavy, AND do this calling that the Lord needed me in, with hopefully some of me left over for my family.  I cried some tears of disappointment, but knew that the Lord would provide a way to make it all happen.  The next morning I woke up to a voicemail on my phone.  . . it was the principal of Hunter High School.  I hesitated calling back for fear of hearing the reality that I didn't get the job.  I decided to just "rip off the band-aid" as Pheobe said on "Friends" and get it over with.  To my utter shock and amazement, they offered me the job!!! As I knelt down to thank my Heavenly Father, the reply that I got was "Why do you still doubt me?"
Isn't it amazing what can happen in a month?
As I prepared to leave my East High family to head out on this new adventure, I realized just how blessed I am to have been able to work with and rub shoulders with some very fabulous people!  I felt so very loved by so many and when it came to my final day, was a big bawl baby.  I had the most amazing boss that became like a 2nd dad to me when I needed it so much in my life.  You know those people that you just know the Lord placed in your life for a very specific reason. . . .he's one of them! 
I've now begun my new job at Hunter.  Everyday reassures me more and more of why I'm supposed to be there.  Right from the moment I told my boss at East that I was interviewing there and he realized that the Principal at Hunter was one of his assistant principals at Cyprus.  One connection after another. . . it's been truly awesome!
Today myself and my rockstar presidency were sustained and set apart.  This journey is just beginning, but I've already seen the Lord's hand in it all.  He's led me here, to this very point in my life and I know that He is in charge now!  What a humbling experience this has been for me.
I've seen the atonement of my Savior Jesus Christ work in the hearts of myself and my loved ones.  It's real!  It's wonderful and truly amazing!
As terrified as I am for this next adventure, I'm also just as excited!  I know that the Lord has prepared me for this.
This song has come up so many times these past few months.  It reminds me of this season of my life. . . .
  

3 comments:

Spencer family said...

What an amazing story!! Thanks you for sharing. It's a great reminder to put our trust in the Lord and he will always be there for you. Even if you don't understand why it is happening the way it is. ;-)

Kiersti said...

How amazing is all of this!!! And I wish I could meet Hilary Weeks someday and tell her about how that song has touched my life.....I picked it for my brother's viewing video. The part at the end with all the little signs, um, HELLO! Tears galore!
I love you and I'm so happy to see where you are going and how strong you truly are. You are an inspiration to me, my friend.

Marie said...

Thank you for this post! You are such an amazing person; so strong! I know it's hard to know sometimes but your experience is a great reminder the Lord is mindful of us. Good luck with your new calling and job. I'm so excited for you working closer to home!
Love that video/song. It has such comforting words.
Love ya!!