Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weee are the Champions. . my friends. . .

I'm proud to report that yesterday, April 18, 2009, I finised my first 1/2 marathon!!! It was quite the experience! A shout out to Brynn for getting my ace moving and actually doing this. Thanks girl! The morning began around 4 AM when I rolled out of bed and got myself moving. We headed downtown and took tracks up to the Olympic Bridge. It was freezing out there! We kept getting in the elevator that takes you up the bridge because it was heated. Finally around 6:45 AM we started to migrate toward the starting line. So many people and Brynn kept warning me to stay to the right because the crazies will push you out of the way. I tried to get a good pic of all the people lined up and ready to go, but I'm a bit short.
She wasn't kidding. As soon as that gun went off, it was chaos. I almost got mowed down a few times, but eventually it thinned out. We really got tuckered out about mile 10 when we hit State and were literally "draggin'" State. It was quite the climb up to South Temple and my feet were killing me. Poor thangs had to carry my hefty self all over SLC! The finish line was great and Brynn's fam was so good to come out and make posters for us! Thanks Nancy!

Me and my BFF Brynn in the Hometown Heroes tent having stuffed our faces with yummy sandwiches and cookies. We got cool medals for finishing. I chose to wear purple for the race because a good friend and coworker of mine lost her mom to Pancreatic Cancer last year and her favorite color was purple.
It was an awsome experience and definately one that i'll do again! We are going to be running/walking the Provo Half in August and then next year, I will be joining the "Hometown Heroes" team to raise $ for the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

7 comments:

Brynn said...

You should wear your medal to church ;) You were AWESOME!! Thanks for doing it with me.

Kim said...

WOW Kristy! That is such an AMAZING accomplishment...someday I'm doing it! Oh, and way to go on the binki - I hear that is one of the hardest things to do!

Kiersti said...

I am sooo proud of you! I live in this crazy ward of marathon runners (who knew Riverton was runner USA?) and I have mad respect for anyone who can do it! PROPS!!!

Lemmons Family said...

WaHoo! GO Kristy! That is awesome! I would love to get off my butt and run a marathon, or probably walk a marathon. I don't know if I could run. Maybe some day! oh and cute Easter pics!

The Gentry's said...

Yay for you both!! That is awsome you did it. Someday I'll join the two of you hopefully. Good job on the binki thing. You're a rock star to have done both these in a week!! They are both HUGE accomplishments.

Tukuafu's said...

AHHH.. yeah girl! Good job! Good thing there weren't any "trotters"!!

Ashley said...

I am so proud of you girl! You guys are awesome! Congratulations! Maybe I can join you gals in August? We'll see when I can get this body movin' again!